As nervous as I am to blog about this, I've got to record it. Drumroll.....
Preston has slept through the night for 9 days in a row

By sleeping through the night, I mean 9-11 hours of sleep each night. Occasionally, he will wake up, but only for a little bit and he puts himself back to sleep. For a while, I thought P was late to the game on this. I thought that the majority of babies were already doing this. However, I came across a book called Sleeping through the Night and Other Lies that explained to me that most babies his age aren't. There are various reasons - teething, gas, hunger, etc. - that keep babies awake at night. Maybe P just wasn't ready until now. And I don't expect him to do this EVERY night. There will come times when we are still up with him.
I recommend this book. It's the real deal (and funny in a really TRUE way). Here are a few chapters: Visitors are storming the gates; Why you will never again be anywhere on time; Pictures you must never ever take; Theories from grocery store customers on how to stop your baby from crying; The work question; There is a trick to getting kids to sleep - but no one knows it; The nudist years; Babies are technically not anatomical attachments (my fav! there really are people that take their baby EVERYWHERE - it's like, really?!)
Baby Wise and Baby Whisperer just didn't work for him. We tried it, we really did, but probably the biggest lesson I've learned in parenting is that no two babies are alike. Basically, each baby is their own person. I think no matter what Brian and I did, Preston was going to sleep how he wanted to sleep, and when he wanted to sleep.
I recommend this book. It's the real deal (and funny in a really TRUE way). Here are a few chapters: Visitors are storming the gates; Why you will never again be anywhere on time; Pictures you must never ever take; Theories from grocery store customers on how to stop your baby from crying; The work question; There is a trick to getting kids to sleep - but no one knows it; The nudist years; Babies are technically not anatomical attachments (my fav! there really are people that take their baby EVERYWHERE - it's like, really?!)
Baby Wise and Baby Whisperer just didn't work for him. We tried it, we really did, but probably the biggest lesson I've learned in parenting is that no two babies are alike. Basically, each baby is their own person. I think no matter what Brian and I did, Preston was going to sleep how he wanted to sleep, and when he wanted to sleep.
I was totally clueless to this when I was pregnant. I read these books and thought I could train him. That he would just do it because I willed it so. Well, I AM NOT IN CHARGE. At least, of most things with P. Brian and I kept saying, he will sleep when he's ready to sleep. And he did.

Thank you, Preston, for finally sleeping. The funny this is, Brian and I are still randomly waking up at night. You have somehow managed to keep us awake even when sleeping. After 6 and a half months of sleepless nights, you have now trained us into thinking that this is normal. :)

3 comments:
Aw, yay! Go baby P!
Love this post :) And the photos of him in his clothes.
So thrilled for you! Way to go Preston! Getting to sleep all night on a regular basis makes such a difference in your mental well-being! :)
Post a Comment