Our hall bathroom is still under construction. Yes, the bathroom that was originally quoted as an 8-day project has now gone over 2 months. The end is in sigh though, and I cannot wait to share the before and after pictures. I am so pleased with our choices, its functionality and its storage! (On the other hand, I am NOT pleased with our contractor. We can now tell you someone NOT to use. ;)
Speaking of bathrooms, we have two upstairs. One is under construction, so the other, in our master bathroom, is the one all three of us having been using. June 27, I put Preston in the bathtub, went to turn off the cold water, and the whole knob flew off and water was gushing out of the wall, filling up the tub. I scooped up a screaming Preston, and with no way to turn the water off, I screamed at Brian (who was downstairs) "Plumbing emergency! Turn off the water!" Brian ran outside to the water shut off near the end of our driveway and shut of all water to the house. Thankfully, our bedroom did not flood, and Brian was able to fix the cold water knob. After we get all of the bathroom cleaned up, we put Preston to bed without a proper bath, headed downstairs and took in the site that was our kitchen. Water everywhere! It drained from the tub upstairs through our chandelier in the kitchen, all over our kitchen table and floor.
God works in funny ways, because after I cried for a solid hour and Brian huffed and puffed, we realized how lucky we were. Usually we keep EVERYTHING on our kitchen table - bills, laptop, cameras, etc. - and our kitchen table was completely clear when it happened. After calling a plumber out, there is no damage and everything is fine. We are so thankful for this, because for about an hour, we thought we were down from three bathrooms to one in our house.
On June 28 (the day after the bathroom incident), Brian and I celebrated our 4 year wedding anniversary. We celebrated at one of our favorite restaurants, Bari. It was a really nice meal, and we were very thankful to my in-laws for keeping Preston so that we could celebrate our anniversary. We didn't take a single pictures of ourselves, but I did snap a pic of the last bite of my meal. Delicious!
Brian also wrote me a really sweet note and got me some flowers. It meant a lot, especially after the stress of the night before.
After the bathroom incident, I did have a small breakdown. I am learning that breakdowns are pretty common when you become a mom. This time, the breakdown was over the fact that our house is a "lemon", I am juggling too much, housework is backed up, the preschool tuition check due next week, and I want all the contractors and workers to go away. So what did I do? Naturally, I called my mom and begged for help. Being the perfect and logical woman she is, she offered to keep Preston for a couple nights to allow Brian and I some quality time together at home, without a child, to clean up our house, go out to dinner, and just enjoy each other. She always has the answer!
Words cannot express what this did for my overall well-being. Thank you mom! I spent some time with my best friends, Brian and I spent time together, and I feel rejuvenated. This may be my new way to de-stress!
She actually took him down to our family farm for a couple nights to see my grandparents and go to a family reunion on my grandmother's side. I was kind of a nervous wreck over this (not going to lie) but my mom took my car and called/texted me every five minutes to tell me he was still alive. ;) Here are a few pictures of them having fun!
| Getting ready to head off to bed |
| Family reunion play time |
| Pool time. |
| The child LOVES squash. |
| Eating some freshly picked corn. |
| Playing in the front garden. |
| Packing up veggies with his great-grandmother to bring back to Memphis. |
When this child came home, I could have cried I was so happy to see him. Melts my heart!
He did, however, throw us with another curve ball this month. He got a mosquito bite on his cheek that wasn't going away and seemed to be getting worse. My 2nd cousin, an ER doctor in Atlanta, happened to see him while they were at the farm and said it looked like he had staph. So, we took him to the doctor the night of July 3 and sure enough... staph.
| At the doctor's office, showing us what it would be like if P had an identical twin! |
Pretty soon, I'll update on some fun things we've done lately. He is coming into the age where we can really take him to lots of fun places and he is really starting to play with other kids. He will be one and a half so soon, and I just love this age! We also did some fun things for the holiday. Hope everyone had a great 4th of July!
1 comment:
Oh Cami! I am so sorry for all your trouble! It sounds completely awful. No wonder you had a breakdown! Thank goodness for grandmas!! Mine has talked me off the ledge so many times.
I have been in Mommy meltdown mode a lot the past few weeks, too. I feel like I am always behind and never caught up. My mom told me that it will seem that way until Tyler is grown! Ugh! I know she is right, but it is such a hard adjustment and reality to face. Hang in there and know that you are not alone! I am down the street if you ever want to walk or talk!
Really looking forward to seeing you all and the beautiful "lemon" on Sunday! :)
Kirsten
Post a Comment