Saturday, April 30, 2011

Living Room Makeover

There's been some serious work going on around here. Remember what our living room looked like before?


Well after a lot of work painting the trim, painting the walls, scrubbing the floors and oiling the hardwood, searching for furniture deals...


It now looks like this!

SO much better.

Little disclaimer... our dining room chairs are usually in our dining room, but we are having Preston's baptism party soon, so we have it staged for that.

Here's a little breakdown. We used Wheeling Neutral by Ben Moore. The trim is like the rest of our house, White Dove, also by Ben Moore. Of everything in the room, I think I love how the fireplace turned out the most.

I like the contrast of the black and white. It is really the focal point of the room now. I cannot wait to have Christmas in this room with a fire going. By the way, see the beautiful canvas of the little man on the mantle? That was a Groupon steal for about $20 bucks. LOVE it.

Now for some of the stuff. We still need to hang more on the walls and we may end up rearranging the furniture, but for now it works.

The rug came from my parents. They weren't using it and had it in their garage, so they cleaned it up for us and surprised us with it. It's awesome and we (especially Brian) really likes the bold colors in it.

Couch came from Craigslist and is like new. We paid close to $100 for it... we were excited about that steal!

I got the fabric for the pillows at my favorite fabric place in Bartlett, Johnson's Fabrics, for 25% off. My mom made them into pillows for me.

Then we have the fabulous little coffee table.

I am excited about this, because it was my little project when Preston was napping. When I got it, it looked like this...



I paid $5 for it at an estate sale. Yes, $5! But it was in really bad shape, and I'm pretty sure that's bird poop on the top of it. I loved the bones of it though... the little brass knob and the wheels at the bottom of the legs. It was a cute little shape and had some nice trim on it. So I figured I would take it home with me and either refinish it, or paint it. I stripped the original stain off, which came off easily, then I painted three coats on it of Montgomery White by Ben Moore. We had a sample size of this from the living room so I just used what we had. It is kind of an antique white. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Then I sealed it with some polyurethane. The accessories on top are from the Pottery Barn Outlet.

Next is the beautiful antique sideboard.

My mom bought this a long time ago, before I was ever around :) It was painted white. My dad stripped the white paint and refinished it. It was in our house growing up. Recently, my mom painted some gold accents on to it and changed out the hardware. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this sideboard and it is awesome storage for serving pieces, candles, and linens. The silver tea service on top came from Brian's side of the family (we think it came from Italy). I am really appreciative of our families sharing stuff with us.

The two chairs we already had and we got them at Bassett a couple years ago.

Here's another shot of the room....


See the little cabinet to the left? We have all of our bar stuff in there. That was another great estate sale find. We got it for $18, refinished it, changed out the glass in it (I think for a grand total, we spent about $30 on it). It fits great in the corner.

We're happy this room is done for a while. One thing we still have left to do it spray paint the plantation shutters to match the trim. We also need to hang a few more things and add a few more accessories. But for now, we are just enjoying the room and looking forward to hosting parties and holidays as they come.

I have to give a shout out to my dad and Brian. They worked hard together to get this room done and we love it. It is awesome! My only real contribution was the coffee table, considering SOMEONE had to take care of the two-month-old through all this :)

I'll have a post on the dining room soon. It's done, but it's all set up for Preston's baptism party, so when it's back to normal, I'll post it.

1 comment:

JNoPie said...

Cami, This looks great! Can't believe you found time to do all of this in the middle of having a baby!